Monday, September 23, 2019

CAN WE TALK?

Some thirty years ago the following was published in an Ad by Frank's Service in the small news paper in Newcastle, WY:
   "Can We Talk?  There are some things on my mind I really feel the need to share with you.
   Do you have any idea what it feels like to grow old---to see young people lacking respect for you?  Oh, yesI've heard it all--times have changed---what used to be important just is'nt chic anymore---it's old fashioned and out of step.
    Let me just ell you something for you to think about.  I've been spit upon!  Some people today ignore me completely---as if I weren't even there.  But---mostly, I guess being shut up in the house and never being remembered at all is the the most dergading.
    There are times I wonder what the parents of he youth of today are doing to promote the attitudes currently popular.  Perhaps a program to reeducate the parents is in order.  The kids are so far gone, the roots are planted in apathy.  My great, great---oh, goodness, ever so many greats ago---was tenderly made by the hands of a lady named Betsy Ross.  Since my heritage began---men have fought for me---stood up for me in the face of extreme adversity---and, yes even died for me.  I've had many changes in my growth---my design and the number of stars in my crown have grown.  I think I'll "bust" sometimes when I reflect on the glorious changes.  And---then---the sudden reality of the changes in attitude toward me and my forbearers hurts me so.  I've been so proud to represent the great U.S.A.             
   I guess the best part of any good talk is getting some things off your chest.  But I hope you'll think about some of the heartfelt things I've said.  I do love you, America.
                                                                                                         OLD GLORY"
   This was written during the height of the Viet Nam War with all the "antis" and with soldiers on their way home being told not to wear their uniforms for fear of creating a scene.
   After 9-11 flags flew everywhere, houses, businesses, schools, churches, and even cars and trucks.  The American Flag was very popular then-----for awhile!.....Medicineman!

No comments:

Post a Comment