Friday, May 25, 2018

MEMORIAL DAY / DECORATION DAY!

Spending my childhood years in the '30's and teenager years during WWII, what we now call Memorial Day was Decoration Day, that special day when everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY visited the cemetery to decorate family graves.
It was very important to my mother, having lost my father early in my eleventh year.  So I grew up spending a few days prior to Decoration Day sprucing up the family plot in preparation for the special day.  I must admit that the cemetery was a beautiful place on that day with flowers everywhere.
As an adult I view cemeteries  differently because I know that my loved ones are really not there, only the cast off container they used here on earth is.
Today, in my town, on Memorial Day we still place flowers on the graves of loved ones and the American Legion will place an American flag on each veteran grave and we will pay tribute to them in a special ceremony.  And, we will still miss our loved ones and, perhaps, shed a few tears, whether we are able to visit the site or not.
So most of us will, while enjoying our beer and burgers, take some time think MEMORIAL DAY!....Medicineman! 

No comments:

Post a Comment